Data Center Interconnects
Webinar: 4.77 Instructor: 4.93 Materials: 4.79 more …
Buy the webinar
|Downloadable MP4 videos and PDF materials (list)||$ 49.99|
|Digital book in PDF format||$ 49.99|
|Yearly subscription (more)||$ 299.00|
Are you designing a network with multiple data centers? Are you familiar with modern Data Center Interconnect (DCI) technologies? Can you decide when to implement layer-2 DCI ... or defend your decision to stick with routing between data centers? Do you know which Service Provider offerings will introduce the least complexity in your design? What technology should you use if you can only get IP connectivity between your locations?
You’ll get the answers to all of these questions in the Data Center Interconnects webinar.
The webinar will describe three types of data center interconnects, including the benefits and drawbacks of each type:
- Layer-3 interconnects (routed connections between data centers);
- Layer-3 interconnects with path separation (multiple isolated routed connections)
- Layer-2 interconnects (VLANs stretched across multiple data centers with inter-data center bridging).
The primary focus of the webinar is the layer-2 DCI implemented over a variety of underlying transport technologies: dark fiber, DWDM, Carrier Ethernet, pseudowires or generic IP infrastructure.
After this webinar, you’ll understand major DCI technologies including:
- Local and global (DNS) load balancing;
- Path separation provided by multi-VRF or MPLS/VPN;
- Locator/Identity Separation Protocol (LISP);
- Multi-chassis LAG with DWDM or pseudowires;
- TRILL/SPB with DWDM or pseudowires;
- Ethernet over MPLS (EoMPLS) or Ethernet over L2TPv3;
- Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) implemented with MPLS pseudowires;
- Advanced MPLS (A-MPLS) and Flow-Aware Transport (FAT);
- MPLS transport over GRE tunnels;
- Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV);
- BGP MAC VPN from Juniper;
- EtherIP implemented on F5 load balancers.
The webinar does not address platform-specific issues, device configurations or performance guidelines. These topics are covered in numerous Cisco Press books and courses offered by Cisco Learning Partners.
If you are designing or deploying redundant data centers or data center interconnects, you simply have to attend this webinar.
To attend this webinar, you should be familiar with modern data center technologies and have a good understanding of IP routing and IP routing protocols (CCNP-level knowledge is highly recommended). Familiarity with MPLS and MPLS/VPN will help you better understand the MPLS/VPN and VPLS scenarios.
If you’re not familiar with emerging data center technologies, including server virtualization and long-distance virtual machine mobility (for example, vMotion), I would strongly recommend that you attend the Data Center 3.0 for Networking Engineer webinar first (buy a recording).
The Data Center Interconnects is a 3-hour fast-pacing technical presentation available as a set of downloadable videos that you can buy in our online store. We can also organize an on-site workshop, where the topics of this presentation are combined with in-depth discussion of other data center, virtualization or cloud networking topics that apply to your network.
Feedback from the attendees
- The presentation was first-class. I thought it was exceptional value for money and covered the topic in an interesting and thought-provoking way. As always, Ivan demonstrated why he is at the absolute top of his field. His clear explanations and detailed knowledge of the subject matter raised my knowledge of the topic to another level.
- Andrew Burns
About the webinar
- This is a great non-vendor centric overview of DCI technologies and respective pro's and con's. I like the fact that it's to the point and Ivan's real world experience is the value add. As a network design engineer my job is no longer about what cli commands to execute but about making the right network technology choices for specific business cases. This is where Ivan's training webinars shine through, I have to yet see similar vendor presentations (most of them just boast the features and capabilities of their new products)
- Gueorgui Vodenitcharov
- Perfect for planning and discussing data center fail-over AOAs with customers.
- Andrew S Stanley
- Very informative and topical considering the prevailing trends of data centre consolidation and virtualization
- Ketan Sawant
About the materials
- Looking forward to next session.
- Andrew S Stanley
About the Author
Ivan Pepelnjak (CCIE#1354) has been designing, deploying, operating and troubleshooting IP-based enterprise and service provider networks since 1990. He’s the author of highly successful EIGRP and MPLS books published by Cisco Press and service provider courses that are currently offered by Cisco Systems.
- Recording of WebEx session in downloadable .ARF format
- SDN, NFV and OpenFlow
- Network Automation
- Cloud Infrastructure and SDDC
- Data Center webinars
- Virtualization webinars
- IPv6 webinars
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
Related blog posts