Enterasys Robust Data Center Interconnect Solutions
Webinar: 4.62 Instructor: 4.67 Materials: 4.61 more …
Register to access this free webinar
This free webinar sponsored by Enterasys Networks describes a robust hybrid layer-2/layer-3 data center interconnect (DCI) solutions made possible with Fabric Routing and Host Routing technologies available in Enterasys’ OneFabric architecture.
This webinar will help you to:
- Identify disaster recovery and VM workload migration challenges;
- Select the Enterasys OneFabric technologies that simplify and improve the traditional data center interconnect solutions;
- Design robust data center interconnects using Enterasys OneFabric architecture and products;
If you are a network architect or designer, adding disaster recovery capabilities to your data center, or building active/active data center architectures, you simply have to attend this webinar.
Network architects typically use one of the following two traditional architectures when creating data center interconnect (DCI) solutions:
- Layer-3 DCI: Each data center has its own address space; requiring renumbering of servers migrated between data centers. Live VM migration between data centers is not possible.
- Layer-2 DCI: VLANs and IP subnets span both data centers to avoid renumbering and enable live VM migration. Both data centers become a single failure domain.
This webinar describes several hybrid solution based on Enterasys’ OneFabric architecture that enable address preservation when migrating virtual servers across robust layer-3 data center interconnects.
Challenges of Data Center Interconnects
This section will briefly revisit the challenges of traditional data center interconnect solutions, including:
- Layer-2 connectivity requirements caused by stretched clusters or storage replication solutions;
- Server renumbering or large stretched subnets (and failure domains);
- Suboptimal ingress and egress traffic flows;
- Inter-data center traffic trombones caused by server migration;
- Stateful elements (firewalls, load balancers) in the forwarding path;
Enterasys’ OneFabric architecture includes numerous technologies that we significantly simplify the design of robust data center interconnects. This section will describe the most important ones including:
- Shortest-path bridging (SPB) you can use to build large layer-2 fabrics;
- Fabric Routing that optimizes egress (server-to-fabric) traffic flow;
- Host Routing that optimizes ingress (fabric-to-server) traffic flow;
- Data Center Manager that automatically migrates network-side policies after VM moves within or across data centers.
Final part of this section will describe future enhancements of the OneFabric architecture (including SPB-over-GRE) that will enable seamless integration of end-to-end layer-2 connectivity with layer-3 underlay transport.
The final section of the webinar will describe typical OneFabric DCI use cases and combine OneFabric components with overlay networking, virtual appliances and virtual firewall solutions. It includes the following case studies:
- Optimal ingress and egress traffic flow in traditional layer-2 DCI environment;
- Layer-3 DCI solution that enables disaster avoidance or service migration without server renumbering;
- Disaster avoidance/recovery solution in combination with virtual firewalls;
- Highly mobile cloud environment utilizing overlay networking (VXLAN/NVGRE) in combination with cloud orchestration and virtual appliances ... powered by robust OneFabric transport infrastructure.
If you’re a network architect, designer, or presales/support engineer working in data center environments, you simply must attend this webinar – all you need is baseline IP routing knowledge; awareness of server virtualization technologies is a bonus.
If you want to prepare for this webinar, consider the following webinars:
- Data Center Interconnects
- Data Center Fabric Architectures
- Introduction to Virtual Networking
- Virtual Firewalls
- VMware Networking Technical Deep Dive
Enterasys Networks is a premier global provider of IT infrastructure and software solutions that include Wireless, Switching, Data Center, Security, Network Management, and Application Intelligence.
Its solutions enable organizations to drive down IT costs while improving business productivity and efficiency through a unique combination of automation, visibility and control capabilities. This results in providing high quality user experience and business analytics while connecting all devices, users and apps from the network edge to the data center – enabling IT to spend less time on operational tactics and more time on strategic initiatives.
Ivan Pepelnjak, CCIE#1354 Emeritus, is an independent network architect, book author, blogger and regular speaker at industry events like Interop, RIPE and regional NOG meetings. He has been designing and implementing large-scale service provider and enterprise networks since 1990, and is currently using his expertise to help multinational enterprises and large cloud- and service providers design next-generation data center and cloud infrastructure using Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) approaches and technologies.
- SDN, NFV and OpenFlow
- Network Automation
- Cloud Infrastructure and SDDC
- Data Center webinars
- Virtualization webinars
- IPv6 webinars
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
Related blog posts